Kheli Dube scored two for the Revs in a US Open Cup play in game against DC United last night. TheCup.us has the details.
A couple of takeaways:
- The Revs won this game without Shalrie Joseph, Benny Feilhaber and Matt Reis. Do the Revs have -gasp- depth now?
- Ousmane Dabo got his first playing time. He is still not fit for a whole match (he was subbed out in the 76th minute), but Rev fans will see this as a good sign that Dabo will be a reliable member of the squad in a few weeks.
- It was also the first on field appearance for Diego Fagundez and his mohawk.
- Talk was that if Sainey Nyassi and Ilija Stolica don’t get playing time in this game, it’s a sign that they are on their way out. Nyassi played a full ninety; Stolica didn’t travel with the team.
- Both of DC’s goals were scored in the last ten minutes of the game. Steve Nicol attributed this to the “world record” number of free kicks given to DC, but I hope that this sort of letting off of the defensive gas doesn’t become habit.